Wednesday 26 January 2011

Term time

I have begun work on sourcing and designing costumes for a short film called 'Term time' written by David Courtneidge and based on a young boy's imagination. The film requires various costumes;

  • Numerous secondary school uniforms which will need their own school badge 
  • The mothers costume 
  • The father's costume
  • Builders
  • spacemen
  • small purple alien
  • female teacher
  • prison uniforms
  • prison warden
  • prison guards

 I have decided to firstly begin work on the school badge as I am unsure as to how long it will take to produce a large quantity of badges.

I started by researching various school badges 



and worked from thereon my own designs eventually coming up with a quick sketch that I am happy with;


The motto underneath the badge reads;

"Aut disce aut discede" it is the Latin for "Either Learn or Leave" 

which I thought added a childlike comical touch to the uniform. It was decided between David and I that this should be the motto in favour of some of the others I had pitched to him;

"per aspera ad astra" - through difficulties to the stars

"faber est quisque fortunae suae" - everyman is architect of his own fortune

"credo quia impossible est"  - I believe it because it is impossible

Although the motto has been confirmed, David has not yet confirmed the design of the badge so I will finalise the design once I know he is hapy with it so far.

I then began my research into sourcing blazers for the uniforms, because the production is quite low budget I am attempting to source uniformsthat can be bought in bulk at a low price. The best I found was on Asda's website where I can purchase black blazers in various sizes for boys and girls for £10 each.



I think this is the cheapest I will be able to buy blazers in order for allof them to be the same style, I am not yet aware of the number needed or the sizes of the children, however I can bear the website in mind for when I do know.

I then moved on to sourcing ties for the uniform; after some research I found an ebay shop which sells large quantities of striped ties in various colours for just £2.99 each. 


Using photoshop I teamed various colours of ties and the badge I had designed with the blazer I had sourced and sent the images in an email to David so he could choose the colour of tie he wanted, the badge will then be coloured to match (providing he is happy with the design).

Blue and maroon




Maroon and gold




Red and black



Red and grey

No comments:

Post a Comment