Tuesday 23 November 2010

Research mood boards and initial design

I collected all the research I have done on the Holocaust and surrealism and created seperate mood boards containing the images I found to be the most important and influential for my design ideas.








I then combined these ideas on a separate mood board...





With the research I have done I was then ready to create an initial design...






I am happy with some aspects of the design but after a tutorial with Andy have decided to reconsider the middle tree to give the actors more room to move. Also the drawing is much too wide for the stage as we have now been told the design should fit onto the stage at the Theatre Royal in Margate which is much less wide in proportion than my drawing. 

My next step is to figure out the dimensions of the stage and produce a sketch model so I can more accurately decide on the proportions of the props and scenery in the set.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennie
    There's some strong developmental work happening here - the mood boards powerfully convey the holocaust theme in their imagery, colour, and overall design - and the pile of shoes, I agree, is such an evocatively horrific image that it should be included. So - the design: I think this needs work. The dynamics of the mood boards need to be in the design - it's almost too ordered, too rationale, for such a harrowing and irrational usage of genre. I think a more fragmented, collage-like approach could be a useful way to develop the design - perhaps you need to play around with the illusion of deeper spaces, disproportion of scale between objects, and irrationality in general...like the trussed-up shoes of Meret Oppenheim that appear in one of your mood-boards - can the 'trussed-up' element of this re-appear in a different guise in your design (two trees tied together?). It's definitely getting there though, and your commitment to developing this through research and realisation is strong.

    ReplyDelete